Dum spiro, spero. (While I breathe, I hope.)

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Be not afraid!

Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go. Joshua 1:9

I originally set up this blog over a year ago with the intention of talking about my struggles with Generalized Anxiety Disorder. When I first began editing this site, I felt like...Who wants to read that? Who cares about my story?

Well, I've decided it's time for me to talk about what I've been through, and what has helped me, in the hopes that it helps others know that they are not alone with their anxieties! I have been agonized with anxiety, sick to my stomach with worry, unable to sleep or shut down my mind, I've been through it all. I'm not where I want to be yet, but I thank God I'm better than I was!

I first realized I had anxiety in October 2007, after I was assaulted at work by another employee. I was shocked and paralyzed during the whole thing, and I remember thinking "I'm getting beat up right now! I've never been punched before!"

Following this incident, I immediately left my job, and for a few days, I was afraid to leave the house. I was afraid to take the train or even wear a hood in the winter, for fear that I would be hit from behind. I was having frequent panic attacks, moments of such intense fear that I could hardly breathe and I was unable to calm myself down. I began Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, and continued for about 2 years.

Therapy was painful, visceral, emotional and eye opening, but it helped me conquer some MAJOR fears I had, establish healthier relationships and start to believe in myself and to show that to others. Already,
I have overcome SO much!

During my struggle with anxiety, I have (re)discovered that I really enjoy cooking and especially baking. It's relaxing to me, and I hope to share more of my 'hobby' with you! I love love love food, making, eating it, talking about it, avoiding exercising because of it...

I'm new to writing my own blog, but I hope to soon share pictures, recipes, websites, music... talk about love and marriage, life and faith, et cetera! I'm open to any suggestions and I hope you'll leave comments. Thanks for reading, friends!




0 comments:


Get a playlist!